Tuesday 7 October 2008

No Right Turn

At one end of my street, you can't turn right. You also can't turn right when coming into my road either. This is for two reasons. 1) To stop my street being used as a rat-run. It's pleasant and has trees and children and cats. We don't want lots of cars down here. 2) The other reason is that, if you turn right out of my street onto the busy road, you hold up everyone behind you because, during rush hour, it's impossible to turn right. Going left, circling the roundabout, coming back again, keeps everything flowing.

So WHY does the woman in the four wheel drive - think huge, black, shiny and with a silly private plate that probably spells her name if you squint, stand on your head, and pronounce it with a French accent - WHY does she always insist on holding me up in the morning by bloody turning right out of MY street?

Today I managed to squeeze up on her left. I wound down my window. I shook my fist at her. I yelled 'Can't you read? It's no right turn.'

She could see right over the top of my little red diesel Fiesta that costs me £35 a year to tax, peanuts to insure, and does 65 miles to the gallon. So there she sat, staring over my roof, watching all the traffic go by, as I struggled to see over her rhinoceros-sized bonnet. Then she laughed at me. Then she wound down her window. She told me I should get a bigger car then I'd be able to see.

She is so going in a book. So going to drive a Del Boy-style three-wheeler. (Maybe I should re-read my previous post.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That must be SO frustrating!

Sam Hayes said...

It is. Very. But I can't help thinking it's another carrier bag-style obsession of mine. Perhaps I should get out more.

Anonymous said...

No - we had a similar turning once, and every time someone blocked my view by trying to turn right I had to spend 10 minutes complaining to my husband about it!

But then again, I also probably need to get out more! ;)

Chris said...

You could kill her in the next book...

Sam Hayes said...

Do you think there'd be a market for it, Chris? Murder at the T-junction?

Gerard Walker said...

Loved reading this thaank you