Thursday 5 February 2009

Snow quiet


It's all so quiet, isn't it, with this snow business? It rather suits the between novels mode that has struck me this week. Soft and fluffy outside my window; soft and fluffy in my head. I don't like not being 'in' a novel. I'm beginning to get to know my new characters, but they're not like the old ones yet; the ones I sent off to my editor recently. I knew them really well. I'd spent many months with them. These new people are...well...new. Give me a few weeks, and I'll be begging for them not to leave either. But for now, they haven't done anything to prove themselves to me; to show me what they're made of. That only comes when the writing begins. And how I long for that!

But I have to be good. I have to plan. I have to take this time to work it all out. Once the framework's in place, I'll let loose my players. I give myself until about three o'clock this afternoon before words hit the page. I don't like not writing!

2 comments:

no said...

I absolutely agree. The planning/synopsis stage drives me mad, but if I don't do properly, I end up with a mediocre novel. Humph!

Sam Hayes said...

Humph all right. And they say writing's easy. Those miners don't know they're born.

PS: My word verification... 'plingul'. My son used to watch that years ago. I can still hear the tune.